Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default How do I duplicate a Word Style?

This sounds like an unnecessary rigmarole for a basic style editing
function. If you create a new style based on another style, then unlink the
'based on' style by changing it to based on 'no style', the original style
parameters are retained along with with your edits, but not linked to the
original style.

Jugglertwo wrote:
Your suggestion worked great. I wanted to use it for a user defined
style so your directions were just right.
I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have been able to figure this one out
anytime in the near future by myself.
Thanks again and I owe you one!
You are the BESTEST
Jugglertwo

"periodic" wrote:

If its not a built in style you can do as follow
Tools | Templates and Add-ins | Organizer

Copy the style you want to duplicate to normal.dot (or preferably
some dummy document) rename it, and copy it back. If you used
normal.dot as you temporary storage. Delete the style from
normal.dot.

If its a built in style the same method wont work since you will not
really change its name, just give it a new alias.

I do not really know how to do this with a built-in style other than
using some VBA

"Jugglertwo" wrote:

I haven't been able to figure this out.
How do I duplicate a Word style?
I was asked this recently by a co-worker and I haven't been able to
figure it out but it seems like it should be possible.
I'm familiar with creating, applying and modifying styles. I also
use the Organizer.
1) My co-worker wants to create a style and copy the style so they
can modify a second style slightly. They do not want to have to go
through all the steps to create the second style and make the one,
small change when the orginal style has all of the starting
formatting. 2) Also, I do NOT want the second style based on the
first style as I do not want the second style modified when I make
changes to the first style.

Hope this isn't overly confusing.
Thanks for any assistance in advance!
Jugglertwo