Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Default Alt-Shift-Left vs. Ctl-Alt-3

Hi Ed -

Ctrl+Alt+3 is the shortcut specifically assigned to Heading 3, whereas
Shift+Alt+LeftArrow is [generically] assigned to the OutlinePromote command.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/8/08 1:04 PM, in article
, "emel"
wrote:

Yes, no, no, as it turns out. Body Text (the style) inherits TNR from
Normal. The text I was promoting was specified as pure, unadulterated Body
Text, no TNR or other typeface added.

In the great scheme of things, this is a minor quirk, but like so many of
Word's quirks, I find it to be truly annoying while I'm in the thick of
editing.

Thanks,

Ed

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?ZW1lbA==?=,

I'm organizing a bunch of text that I pasted into a document by adding
headers to separate the topics. The heading text is already there as body
text; I just want to promote it. But, it doesn't quite work ...

The details. The body text is 12 point Times New Roman. Heading 3 is Bold,
12 point Arial. I separate the bit that I want to promote into its own
paragraph and hit alt-shift-left, which nicely promotes it. Unfortunately,
it promotes it to Heading 3 + Times New Roman. (Note, heading 3 is the
prevailing heading level at this point in the document). I really want
plain
old Heading 3 the way I defined it.

Ctl-Alt-3 promotes the Body Text to an unadulterated Heading 3.

OK, I can try to remember to use Ctl-Alt-3 instead, but it's possible that
there is some obscure option hidden away somewhere that will make it behave
the way I'd prefer. Plus, I can't quite puzzle out why someone would make
alt-shift-left behave that way on purpose.

Oh - Word 2003 on Windows XP.

What happens if you press Ctrl+Spacebar on that Heading 3 + Times New Roman
result?

Is the body text formatted with a STYLE? Or are you just calling it body
text?
Has the TNR been applied to this "body text" directly? I get the feeling the
answer to these questions a No, yes, yes - and that the promotion is
"inheriting" the TNR for this reason. If that's the case, create a style for
the
body text (or use Word's built-in style). Make sure the font name and size
are
defined as part of the style. Remove any direct style formatting (select,
then
Ctrl+Spacebar).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland