F A L

Dear Daiya, Thanks for your tip; it worked! You are of course right in
warning me about relying on Normal; FOr my part I deeply distrust it!
Anyway, regarding character styles I have now a related but different
problem: by default all char styles are based upon "Fuente de párrafo
determinado", which is Spanish for (something like) "Default paragraph font".
This style cannot be modified: The option "edit" (or whatever it is in the
English version) is dimmed when this particular style is selected. In turn,
this char style seems to be based on a non existing style, "Parrafo
subrayado" (underlined paragraph: the definition of this style says: "Fuente
del estilo de párrafo subrayado +", i.e. "Underlined paragraph style font").
Of course I could base other char styles on other char styles, but it is
annoying not knowing what is going on: are there styles that are *so*
in-built that cannot be modified? The what is the point of such styles?

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

I believe that if you set the font of the child style to the same font
currently defined in the parent style (the style set as "based on), that it
will wipe out the additional font definition, and next time you change the
parent style, the child style will pick up the correct font. (just had to
mess around with that the other day, in fact...)

However, I'm not sure that redefining all your styles like that is the most
efficient way, though obviously it depends on your workflow...

It may be better to instead set up custom templates for specific projects.
More info:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart1.htm

I'm a tad superstitious here, but for anything worth putting that much
effort into, I just avoid Normal so that I don't have to worry about
unintended cascading effects. For my major project, I used a custom
template, and created a BaseFont style, which I never applied to any text,
but based all the styles used in the custom template on, so that I didn't
have to worry about the double-space in my MainText style cascading to my
BlockQuote style. That worked very well, but I'm not sure you'd want to do
it with Normal style.

DM

On 12/2/04 8:49 AM, "F A L" wrote:

I am tryging to define my styles so to make them easy to modify. In
particular, I would like to remove all font type definitions from all styles
but for the normal style (for paragraphs styles) and the default paragraph
font for character styles (I am using a Spanish version of word so I don't
have the English name of this style). Then I can define all other styles as
deviations of these tweo styles and that would make it easier for me to
change the font of all styles. THe problem is that before realising that this
was a sensible thing to do I selected specific font for other styles, such as
Heading 1 and Body tex etc, and I haven't figured out a way to remove such
definitions for these styles. If i go to the "modifyt style" tab and clik on
"font" and simply delete the name of the font (e.g. Adobe Garamond Pro) and
then click OK, the style remains unmodified. It seems that I can only change
the font by selecting other font. Is there any way to make a style
font-neutral? (apart, of course, of deleting the style and creating it anew,
which apparently cannot be done with in-built styles anyway).

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/