Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Default Opening Word mail merge main doc also launches Excel?

From the Tools menu, select Options and then go to the General tab and check
the "Confirm conversions at open" box. Then if you use the DDE method of
connection to the datasource, the source will be opened when the mail merge
main document is opened. You will need to re-attach the source to the
document that does not cause this to happen at the moment.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Larry" wrote in message
I have two similar Word mail merge main documents. Each of them uses an
Excel
spreadsheet as its data source. When I open one of them, Word opens (as
you
would expect). When I open the other one, Word opens _but_ Excel also
launches and the data file is available as an icon on the bottom-screen XP
toolbar. I like that feature, but cannnot figure out how one Word doc
"knows"
to launch Excel, but the other does not.

What option/setting in a mail merge main doc would also launch Excel?
(Office 2003)