Friendship Center

Default Upgrading MS Office caused Word Docs to DISAPPEAR?!

We are a nonprofit organization that had been running MS
Office 2000. We recently got Office 2003. We ran and
installed it and everything went well.

Then we went to open some of our documents that we use
within the office that contains a lot of important data.
Suddenly, random documents were completely missing off
the hard drive. We did searches for the documents by
name and partial name. Nothing came up.

The only issue we can think of is that the installation
asked for the older Office 2000 CD, which has been in
storage for some time and the installer rather than go
get it clicked cancel and the installation resumed. The
programs all worked, but the documents that are needed
are missing.

Now, most of the documents are still on the drive and
work fine in the new program. However, the ones that are
missing are important and were there prior to
installation.

Can anyone determine if the installation process caused
the documents to disappear, or if the way it was
installed caused this, or if it must be some other
reason? The computer is in good shape, a HP Pavillion
XE749 with stock components. No other problems have
arrived.

If these documents are gone, what can be done to recover
them? Any ideas? The only clue here was the
installation of Office 2003.

Thanks