Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kamilla Winther

Default Numbering of headings starting at Heading 2

Thank you very much. I looked at your thorough and comprehensive guide and I
learned something. However, my problem persists.

I now took it back one step and I just want to make a totally ordinary
outline numbering

1. Heading 1
1.1 Heading 2
1.1.1 Heading 3
1.1.2 Heading 3
1.2 Heading 2
1.2.1. Heading 3
2. Heading 1

etc.

I followed your link exactly (I am familiar with the use of styles), and the
result looks like this (no kidding):
1. HEADING 1
2. HEADING 1
3. HEADING 1
4. HEADING 1
5. HEADING 1
1.5. Heading 2
1.5.1. Heading 3
2.5.1. Heading 3
3.5.1. Heading 3
2.5. Heading 2
1.5.2. Heading 3
2.5.2. Heading 3

There must be something seriously wrong with the template...

Does anyone have ANY idea of what might be going on? I am tempted to go back
to simple manual typing o fthe numbering, but I think that I will have to
make my own template and use that - I am convinced noone here will be any the
wiser...

Thanks again. And yes, it is driving me bonkers, and I don't even have
"Automatic update styles" enabled!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Set up your numbering according to
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html, beginning
with Heading 1 (with numbering set to "none"), and Level 3 numbering set to
restart after Level 2.

"Kamilla Winther" wrote in
message ...
I am working with a template in Word 2002 created by a person having no
skills in using the Styles in Word. There are - however - a number of
headings, and in one sections, headings 2 and headings 3 are

outline-numbered
- by hand. I am going to work with this document a lot and wishes to

change
it into numbered headings, but starting with Heading 2 - like this

Heading 1
Heading 1
1. Heading 2
1.1 Heading 3
1.2 Heading 3
2. Heading 2
2.1. Heading 3
Heading 1
etc.

The numbered headings 2 and 3 will only be present under one of the

Heading
1's.
You will not BELIEVE the result I am getting, when I try this. I go into

the
Style menu, select the heading and choose Numbering under the Format tab.

It
will not work out.

I try to select Heading 2 as lvl 1, and the result looks like this:
Heading 1
1. Heading 2
1.1. Heading 3
1.1. Heading 3
1.1. Heading 3
1. Heading 2
1.2. Heading 3
1.2. Heading 3

So far so good. Now I set Heading 3 as lvl 2 and stating that heading 3
should start renumbering after lvl 1, and the result looks like this:
Heading 1
Heading 2
11.1. Heading 3
21.1. Heading 3