Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Default Dollars and cents

snip
On 12/26/07 2:40 PM, in article
, "mtnpastor"
wrote:

Why is the ¢ symbol not right next
to it!!! I find this odd and not typical of the way most people think when
they are searching for monetary symbols. Do you agree? I hope you will
communicate this to the MS Word/Office staff to get an update out that will
correct this situation.

snip

MS has nothing to do with it - The position of a character in the Insert
Symbols dialog is based on its ASCII* (numerical) value which is assigned
according to industry standards. Although it may seem inconvenient to you it
would be far more confusing to find the needed character if they were
organized based on some arbitrary "preference":-) That's why options are
available to access the characters in customized ways - such as assigning
keystrokes... I've assigned Alt+4 (same key as $).

Despite its importance to some you might be surprised to find that the ¢
symbol is not as widely used as you may think... Note that it isn't included
on the keyboard in the first place. It's far more common to have cent values
indicated as $ .07 rather than as 7¢ - especially for alignment in lists.

*ASCII = American Standard Code for Information Interchange - for more see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac