Saviourmachine

Hi Daiya,

Thank you for your answer. The link
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ingStyles.html was
just what I was looking for. Oh, no. Index is Dutch, in English I mean
Contents. The heading Contents doesn't have to show up in the ToC itself, of
course. That's why I defined an additional heading for it.

The shortcut keys Ctrl+Alt+1 are for built-in styles. That's indeed an
advantage. I use a macro with Alt+1 to update my Heading 1 style on the fly.
In that case built-in styles are handy too.

The numbering Heading 2 for the chapters, and Heading 1 for the Intro etc.
In that case Heading 3 has to inherit from Heading 1. That's possible.
However, in the documents that I link by { InsertText } fields, the chapter
heading is Heading 1, the second Heading 2, etc. So, I'll stick with using
the (unnecessary) Heading 6 en 7 for the Intro, etc sections, and the
Contents section. That gives only an awkward look in the Ouline view.

Oh, something is entering my mind. :-) To create consistency betwen the
different Header styles (numbered, unnumbered and invisible in ToC) all of
them can be inherited from a custom Heading style. Thus again an
UnnumberedHeading and InvisibleInToCHeading. Only point 8, 9, 10, 11 and 14
apply.
It's a pity they didn't define Heading for these section, because there is
an Index Heading, as well as a TOA Heading. Maybe something for a new
version. :-)

You helped me a lot, thanks!

Andy

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

I'm very curious about what this means, and why the index is at the front of
your book? (where I imagine no one will know to look for it?)

The Index is hidden in the TOC.

In general, it is a better idea to stick with Word's built-in styles, for
reasons see:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ingStyles.html

If I have interpreted the question correctly:

You can use Heading 1 (with numbering added) for the chapters, and Heading 2
(without numbering) for Foreword, Intro, References, etc, and define Heading
1 and Heading 2 to be identical save for the numbering, and when creating
the TOC, click on Options, and set the TOC level for Heading 1 and Heading 2
to the same number, and then the TOC entries for those will also be
identical. (Then all these headings will look the same to the reader, but
Word can treat them differently).

I am not sure why the Index heading would need a different style from the
Foreword heading, in your book. I guess if you don't want the TOC entry to
have a page number, it needs a different TOC level to automate that, and
thus a different style, which again, you would presumably define as nearly
identical.

When modifying Heading 1 and Heading 2, you will have to be careful of the
"based on" setting, which lets styles inherit settings from each other. It
may in fact be easier to use Heading 1 unnumbered and add the numbering to
Heading 2, as otherwise Heading 2 may inherit the numbering and then you
will have to remove it. I forget the exact dynamics, and what will happen
to Heading 3. You may need to experiment a bit. The general principle of
what I said above will hold, regardless of the exact details of Heading 1 or
Heading 2, etc.

You will also find a list of useful links relative to such documents here,
though possibly more basic than you need right now:
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

If you are using outline numbering within your chapters, see he
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

In that case, it *might* be better to use a non-built-in style for the Index
and Intro/Foreword/References, to keep them from interfering with the rest
of your numbering hierarchy, though I'm not entirely sure. Same principles
apply.