Stefan Blom

Verify that the captions are set up the way you want them (in the
Caption and Caption Numbering dialog boxes). Then select the entire
document and press F9 to update the Seq fields that take care of the
numbering. Does that help? If it doesn't, what field codes show if you
press Alt+F9?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rachel H" wrote in message
I am having trouble numbering tables and figures using the captions

command
in Word 97. I am using 3 heading styles in my document which are

numbered
(e.g.) Chapter 1, 1.1, 1.1.1 and respectively. These are based on

the pre-set
styles for Headings 1-3. I want my tables to be numbered according

to the
chapter number (e.g. Table 2.1, Table 2.2 etc. in Chapter 2),

irrespective of
which sub-section they are in. When I enter a caption, I have ticked

the box
'Include chapter number' and set the Chapter number with style

'Heading 1'.
The numbering is fine within a sub-section, but when I move to the

next
sub-section within the same chapter, the numbering starts again

(still with
the correct chapter number). I can't see why this is or how to

override it.
Please can anyone advise me?