Stefan Blom

Strange! If you want to, I could take a look at the document (or
relevant parts of it). Just send it to

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rachel H" wrote in message
news
I have double checked all the fields and I only have { SEQ Figure }

or { SEQ
Table } identifiers. I have double checked the numbering is up to

date by
selecting all and pressing F9. I am not using track changes so I

don't think
that is a problem.

Although I have set the numbering to restart with Heading 1, Word is

also
restarting the numbering (for both tables and figures) after Heading

2 and
Heading 3. I tried starting a new document from scratch using the

preset
heading styles and still had the same problem, so I don't think I

have
altered the style settings in any way that will cause Word to think

that
Headings 2 or 3 are Heading 1.

I have now written macros to inset the captions how I want them and,
although not perfect, I think I can manage my numbering better now.

I really
appreciate all your advice - you have helped me to understand field

codes a
little and work out a way around my problem.

Rachel

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Well, if you do want caption numbering to restart after each

Heading 1
paragraph, you should be able to do that without changing the

field
code by hand (or via AutoText). As explained previously, Word
automatically makes the necessary adjustements to field codes.

Just in case, try again to verify the settings in the Caption
Numbering dialog box. Select the options you want, and click OK
to confirm. Note that if you have multiple captions (for example,
tables and figures), this must be performed for each caption
separately. Then select the whole document and press F9 to update
fields.

If this doesn't help, look at the field codes again. (Use Alt+F9

toggle field code display.) Pay attention to the "name", the

so-called
identifier, following SEQ. Are there some other sequences in your
document? If you have Figures in addition to Tables, this is to be
expected. You would see { SEQ Figure }, { SEQ Table } where the
different identifiers indicate different numbering sequences.

Another question, if everything else fails: Are you tracking

changes?
This apparently prevents the correct updating of Seq fields, until

all
changes have been accepted.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rachel H" wrote:
Thanks Stefan. I do want the numbering to start again after a

Heading 1
paragraph, but not after a Heading 2 or 3 paragraph.

Unfortunately,
this is
what is happening. I realise now that the changes I described

before
mean
that numbering does not restart in a new chapter, so I had not

really worked
out the problem.

I will look into the option of using AutoText entry instead.

Rachel

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

When you add a chapter number to captions, Word assumes that

you
also
want to restart caption numbering after the selected chapter
(heading). That's what \s 1 means in a Seq field: "restart the
numbering of this field when it follows a Heading 1

paragraph".

If you don't want the numbering to restart, you can replace \s

1
with
\n (as you've seen), or more easily just delete \s 1.

But once you've manually changed the fields inserted by Word,

you
cannot use the Caption dialog box to insert subsequent

captions;
if
you do, Word will re-insert the \s switch.

Instead, you can select the caption label and number and

create an
AutoText entry for the insertion.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rachel H" wrote in message
Hi Stefan

Thank you so much for your reply. I am pretty sure I have my
settings the
way I want them in the Caption and Caption numbering boxes.

have
ticked the
box 'Include chapter number' and set 'Chapter starts with

style'
'Heading
1'.

I pressed Alt+F9 as advised and looked at the field codes

which
hadn't
looked at before. I don't completely understand what the

different
parts of
the field code mean, but (with a little help from 'help') I

changed
the
endings and it now seems to work. The Field codes previously

read:

{ STYLEREF 1 \s }.{ SEQ Table \* ARABIC \s 1}

I changed the final \s 1} to \n} and the numbering now

works.

However, although the changes remain when I save the

document
and
re-open
it, if I enter a new caption, they all revert back to the

old
field
codes.
Have you any idea how I can correct my settings so the

ending is
always \n} ?

Thanks

Rachel

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Verify that the captions are set up the way you want them

(in
the
Caption and Caption Numbering dialog boxes). Then select

the
entire
document and press F9 to update the Seq fields that take

care
of
the
numbering. Does that help? If it doesn't, what field codes

show if
you
press Alt+F9?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rachel H" wrote in message
I am having trouble numbering tables and figures using

the
captions
command
in Word 97. I am using 3 heading styles in my document

which
are
numbered
(e.g.) Chapter 1, 1.1, 1.1.1 and respectively. These are

based
on
the pre-set
styles for Headings 1-3. I want my tables to be numbered
according
to the
chapter number (e.g. Table 2.1, Table 2.2 etc. in

Chapter
2),
irrespective of
which sub-section they are in. When I enter a caption, I

have
ticked
the box
'Include chapter number' and set the Chapter number with

style
'Heading 1'.
The numbering is fine within a sub-section, but when I

move
next
sub-section within the same chapter, the numbering

starts
again
(still with
the correct chapter number). I can't see why this is or

how
override it.
Please can anyone advise me?