Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Word document

While you may be able to open Word docx format with the addition of the
compatibility pack
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...686761033.aspx you still
don't have Word 2007 and so some 2007 specific features will not work. Ask
the originator to send you the document in Word 97-2003 format.

doninwash wrote:
I was sent a Word document and tried to open it in my version 2003
version. I was informed that it had been created in a newer verion of
Word and asked if I wanted to download and install a conversion
program which I did. Now when I bring it up I am informed I will not
be able to do everything I would wish with it and when I try to enter
information the cursor jumps to the beginning of the document and
does not allow me to enter any text. When look at the file name
extension, it ends in "docx". What can I do other than purchase the
newer version of Word?