Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wordmeister Wordmeister is offline

Default Using Word with Angel

I contacted Norton. Had the tech enter my computer and check. He found
nothing wrong with Norton. Said it must be a Microsoft problem.

"Wordmeister" wrote:

I went to Norton 360 and tried deleting both the Identity Safe and Phishing
filter. I still got those messages popping up (Word could not create..., You
cannot close MS Office Word..., Word has encountered a problem...). Once I
get thru those messages, then everything goes back to normal. So apparently
Norton 360 is not the problem. I didn't see anything labeled "Office
Plug-in." Perhaps I could contact Norton.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

I most definitely could be Norton. It has an Office Plug-in that is known to
cause conflicts with Office documents. That would certainly explain why the
documents are being accessed when you are simply uploading files - that's
why I was asking if you were using a Preview pane when viewing the
documents. Check the Norton Options and disable the Office Plug-in. You'll
still be protected by the AutoProtect layer. The only thing the Office
Plug-in does that the AutoProtect layer doesn't is scan files that are
password protected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

"Wordmeister" wrote in message
When I open Word, I get the Home screen with Document 1. If I click on the
logoed circle in the upper left corner, I get a drop-down menu with
choices
(New, Open, etc.) I also get a list of Recent Documents. That's it.

If I upload a file to Angel, I get the Word message "Word could not create
the work file. Check the temp environment variable." If I click OK on
that, I
get "You cannot close MS Office Word because a dialog box is open. Click
OK,
switch to Word, and then close the dialog box." As soon as I click OK, I
get
"Word has encountered a problem" along with a Show Help box. The Show Help
message gives irrelevant info but also mentions that an incompatible
antivirus program could be interfering. Hmm. I use Norton 360. Could that
be
the culprit?

"Beth Melton" wrote:

Thank you for the details. :-) One question I have and didn't see
answered
is whether you have a Preview window displayed when you upload a file or
in
the Open dialog box in Word?