Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Using Word with Angel

"Said it must be a Microsoft problem" - Of course he did. That's the first
call of the incompetent! But did he tell you how to turn off the useless
Office plug-in that has been a source of annoyance to Office users in Norton
AV iterations for at least 5 years?
Norton is a horrible bloated program that sits all over your computer and
slows it to a crawl. I have even heard it considered worse than some of the
viruses it is supposed to protect you from. You could have saved some money
and used AVG which is free and does a sterling job without bringing your
computer to its knees, provided you don't install some of the unnecessary
web checking and turn off its office plug-in.

Wordmeister wrote:
I contacted Norton. Had the tech enter my computer and check. He found
nothing wrong with Norton. Said it must be a Microsoft problem.

"Wordmeister" wrote:

I went to Norton 360 and tried deleting both the Identity Safe and
Phishing filter. I still got those messages popping up (Word could
not create..., You cannot close MS Office Word..., Word has
encountered a problem...). Once I get thru those messages, then
everything goes back to normal. So apparently Norton 360 is not the
problem. I didn't see anything labeled "Office Plug-in." Perhaps I
could contact Norton.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

I most definitely could be Norton. It has an Office Plug-in that is
known to cause conflicts with Office documents. That would
certainly explain why the documents are being accessed when you are
simply uploading files - that's why I was asking if you were using
a Preview pane when viewing the documents. Check the Norton Options
and disable the Office Plug-in. You'll still be protected by the
AutoProtect layer. The only thing the Office Plug-in does that the
AutoProtect layer doesn't is scan files that are password protected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP?
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

"Wordmeister" wrote in
message ...
When I open Word, I get the Home screen with Document 1. If I
click on the logoed circle in the upper left corner, I get a
drop-down menu with choices
(New, Open, etc.) I also get a list of Recent Documents. That's it.

If I upload a file to Angel, I get the Word message "Word could
not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable." If
I click OK on that, I
get "You cannot close MS Office Word because a dialog box is open.
Click OK,
switch to Word, and then close the dialog box." As soon as I click
OK, I get
"Word has encountered a problem" along with a Show Help box. The
Show Help message gives irrelevant info but also mentions that an
incompatible antivirus program could be interfering. Hmm. I use
Norton 360. Could that be
the culprit?

"Beth Melton" wrote:

Thank you for the details. :-) One question I have and didn't see
answered
is whether you have a Preview window displayed when you upload a
file or in
the Open dialog box in Word?