Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default Using Word with Angel

As far as Symantec is concerned their software is functioning correctly --
it's scanning Office documents for viruses. Only problem is the plug-in
takes issue with your Office documents and either prevents them from loading
or you encounter odd error messages. I guess it depends on the user's
interpretation of "functioning correctly". When I used Norton my
interpretation was the Office Plug-in was not functioning correctly for my
needs since I needed to open Office documents. grin Here's a quick search
of past issues the Office Plug-in has caused:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/... =officeaviss

As Graham noted, you may need to manually disable the plug-in using
Start/Run.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

"Wordmeister" wrote in message
I contacted Norton. Had the tech enter my computer and check. He found
nothing wrong with Norton. Said it must be a Microsoft problem.

"Wordmeister" wrote:

I went to Norton 360 and tried deleting both the Identity Safe and
Phishing
filter. I still got those messages popping up (Word could not create...,
You
cannot close MS Office Word..., Word has encountered a problem...). Once
get thru those messages, then everything goes back to normal. So
apparently
Norton 360 is not the problem. I didn't see anything labeled "Office
Plug-in." Perhaps I could contact Norton.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

I most definitely could be Norton. It has an Office Plug-in that is
known to
cause conflicts with Office documents. That would certainly explain why
the
documents are being accessed when you are simply uploading files -
that's
why I was asking if you were using a Preview pane when viewing the
documents. Check the Norton Options and disable the Office Plug-in.
You'll
still be protected by the AutoProtect layer. The only thing the Office
Plug-in does that the AutoProtect layer doesn't is scan files that are
password protected.