Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

Default Word 2007 MathType Save as PDF trouble

I tried a few things to see if I could duplicate this, and
unfortunately I can't. Like I mentioned in my response to Carolyn,
MathType objects are created with fonts, so it's necessary to have the
fonts available for the rendering software to be able to display them
properly. In the case of Acrobat and Word, it's possible [on the
Windows OS] to embed the fonts into the document so the symbols will
display properly, even on a computer without MathType. I created a
document in Word 2007, saved as a docx, both with and without
embedding the fonts. I also tried saving both of these versions of the
document as a pdf, using Word's built-in feature. I tried viewing
these documents on 2 different computers, neither of which has neither
MathType nor the MathType fonts installed. All 4 of these documents
displayed properly on both computers.

(As an aside, it's possible to embed the fonts by using Acrobat to
create the pdfs, but it doesn't appear to be possible with Word's
built-in pdf feature. This is easily verifiable by the fact that a
document with embedded fonts will be a larger file than without the
fonts, but both pdfs I created with Word's pdf maker were the same
size.)

So, that's not to say that you're hallucinating, just that I couldn't
duplicate the problem. If you'll send me a document that doesn't
display properly, I'll take a look at it. (Send me both the docx and
the pdf.)

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide

On 6-Nov-2007, Andrew Richter wrote:

Hi,

I'm having the same problem that Carolyn reported. If I use Ctrl to
put in parentheses in MathType (rather than just typing them both
myself), they don't appear in the Word-generated pdfs (they did
when I was using Acrobat distiller).

I tried the fix you suggested, but it didn't change anything.

Any other thoughts?

Regards,
Andrew Richter