You can have as many level of indents and bullets as you like because there
is no issue with restarting numbering after a certain level. You can apply
any bullet you like to any style you like with any indent you like. You
could even, I imagine, have multiple outline-numbered lists (nested), but
you can't have more than nine levels within a given list.

"F. James Little" wrote in message
Graham,

I would have to disagree with you that an outline 9 0r more levels deep
would be incomprehensible. I would think that it would be very much
dependent upon the intent of the document and its intended document. In

the
particular case I am attempting to document the architecture of an object
oriented software module by creating an outline of pseudopodia. (This to

be
accompanied by UML diagrams developed in Visio.) The logic of this
particular module easily goes to more than 20 levels deep, and this is not

particularly complicated module. To an audience of fellow Software
Engineers, I can assure you that the resulting pseudopodia outline would

be
completely comprehensible.

In any case, I believe that setting the limit to 9 levels is somewhat
arbitrary, and I believe that Microsoft should not place limits upon users
within its applications unless there is a resource limitation or

documented
requirement to do so. Given how buggy the numbered outline seems to be in
Word, perhaps it is in fact a resource limitation that forces the limit to

be
9. It seems to me that earlier versions of the MS Word supported more, if
not unlimited, levels when bullets and numbers could be set to multilevel
prior to the advent of the specific numbered outline option. (The

numbered
outline may have been available in previous versions, but if it was it was
not the default as it is today; the simple bulleted format was the default
which could be customized to multiple levels.)

If I am correct on the above, then this would seem to be a case of lost
functionality. (A major, "your going to hell" sin in my industry.) In

any
case, if Word is not going to support more than 9 levels, why then does
customization dialog present the level selection in a scrollable list

control
with all 9 levels visible in the list? The scrollbar is disabled because
there is nothing to scroll to, but it is nonetheless there. If there was

not
the intent to support more levels, why then allow the scrollbar to be

present
al all! It is very confusing to the user in that it gives the impression

that
there may be a circumstance when the scroll bar may be active. (Believe

me,
I have spent the better part of a morning looking for just such a
circumstance.) If the Microsoft Word development team did not intend

there
to ever be more than 9 levels, then it would have been a simple matter
through code to prevent the listbox from displaying a vertical scroll bar!
(I believe the vertical scrollbar is a holdover from previous versions

where
more than 9 levels were supported.)

So, my question still stands... why does MS Word not support more than 9
levels for a numbered outline list? Is it by accident, necessity (a

resource
or design limitation), or design (there is actually some literary

authority
out there that dictates the number of levels within a numbered outline

shall
be 9, and 9 shall be the number of levels within a numbered outline! 10

is
right out!) (My apologies to Monty Python.)

Thanks!

F. James Little
Sr Software Engineer

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Outlines more than four levels are difficult to read and the province of
Government documents. A document with more than 9 levels would be
incomprehensible. What is your thinking here?

F. James Little wrote:
Is there any way to add more levels to a outline numbered list?