Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default Word 2007 Paragraph numbering/restart numbering; Legal doc

Yes, indeed! As you pointed out, using Define New Multilevel list is flakey
and can be difficult to use. :-) The cautions you've cited, especially those
in item #3 are exactly the reasons why using a Define New List Style, and if
modifications are necessary to modify the Style, is why it's recommended (by
the MS Devs and MS Word PMs) over using the Define New Multilevel List
method. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"gr8auntieokie" wrote in message
Heidi and others:

THREE things come to mind as I read your account of how frustrated you are
in your attempt at auto-number your paragraphs.

1. Be verrrrry careful whenever you set up "Legal style numbering." For
instance, with the box next to the "Legal style numbering" title _NOT_
checked, select the number style for the Level 3 paragraph of your outline
(assuming that you've already set up Levels 1 and 2) and click on it. Say
that number is 1. Then move your cursor to the LEFT of the "1" and type a
period [.]. Then move your cursor to the LEFT of the period and click on
the
box next to the title "Legal style numbering" to turn on that function. In
the "include level number from" box, FIRST click on your Level 1 paragraph
number, then type a period, then click on your Level 2 number. When you're
done, "1.1.1 Level 3" should appear in the preview box at the top center
of
the window.

2. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use the Format Painter to copy formatting from one
auto-numbered paragraph to another. If/when you do, the formatting for the
paragraph you're trying to copy formatting FROM reverts to Word's default
setting for that level, which will frustrate you faster than you can spit.
But if you take the time to methodically set up your numbering styles, and
have them chain from Level 1 to 2 (so that Level 2 starts over after any
Level 1 paragraph), and from Level 2 to 3 and so on, all you'll have to do
with each paragraph in your document is click on the paragraph, then click
on
the appropriate style name to apply the formatting of each style to the
next
paragraph.

3. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS set up ALL of your outline levels inside Level 1
of the Define new Multilevel List window. If you start having problems
with
Level 3 and go into the Define new Multilevel List window to try to fix
the
problem while your cursor is still sitting in Level 3, your Level 3 style
will forget that it's "related" to Levels 1 and 2, and then all of a
sudden,
your numbers are screwed up again. BUT if you methodically open the Define
new Multilevel List window in the first paragraph in your document that
will
have numbers or that will control the restarting number in the other
levels
(even if that first paragraph itself doesn't have numbering), your styles
will hold the numbers and will start over like they're supposed to.
They'll
be far more stable than just restarting numbering everytime you want them
start over. And if you have problems with numbered paragraphs anywhere
else
in the document, go back to the very first paragraph that had numbering or
that controlled the numbers (in other words, the very first Level 1
paragraph), then open the Define new Multilevel List window, and re-set up
the whole outline again. Trust me: 99 times out of a 100 when you click OK
after double-checking all your levels, the problem will have fixed itself.

Cyndie Browning
Tulsa, OK

"That70sHeidi" wrote:

Oh crap. I'm going to just manually number the entire thing for now to
meet
our deadline.

How do I get rid of all those extra list templates I added? I tried
selecting all and changing the style to "Clear All" but the file size is
still about 8 times what it should be.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

You'll need to modify the list as Dawn noted, BUT you don't want to
keep
using the Define New Multilevel List command to make your
modifications. You
aren't modifying the list - you are adding new lists, or List
Templates, to
your document. Instead, use the Define New List Style command. It's
essentially the same but since you are using a Style you are providing
name for the custom Multilevel list and providing a means to modify the
Multilevel list (and easily shared with other documents) instead of
continuing to create new List Templates which can cause problems down
the
road. One scenario is an incorrect List might be used inadvertently,
along
with the "correct" list, and you'll soon be back in the newsgroups
asking
why your list numbering is all messed up. ;-)

If you are creating a template then you may want to create a new
template
and define a new List Style. That way the old Lists won't be included
in the
template and used inadvertently .

Also, to modify a List style, right-click the thumbnail in the gallery
and
then click Modify.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"That70sHeidi" wrote in
message
Firstly, Dawn, thank you thank you!! for pointing out the multilevel
list
command! It's what I've been searching for in 2007 and not finding.

However, I've run into a problem using it.

I've set up my styles for the proper indents, caps, etc. I added the
multilevel numbering, then "update the style to current selection" to
add
the
numbering into the style. Which is awesome. However, I noticed my
numbering
isn't set up right.

I need to create my document so that the last number in the sequence
updates
for each section, until I go back to the previously defined style. It
should
look as such:

PART 1 - GENERAL (I've defined this as a blank 'restart' style and it
works!!!!)
1.1 TITLE
1.1.1 Subsection Title
1.1.1.1 Subsection Text
Texty text sometimes in here, not
numbered.
1.1.1.2 Subsection Text
1.1.1.3 Subsection Text
1.1.1.3.1 Super Subsection Text
1.1.1.3.2 Super Subsection Text
1.1.1.4 Subsection Text
1.1.2 Subsection Title
PART 2 - PRODUCTS
2.1 TITLE
2.1.1 Subsection Title
2.2 TITLE
2.3 TITLE

I can't seem to get the multilevel list to do that. I added a plain
number
to the end of the "grayed out" "Enter formatting for number" box
which
apparently means that number never changes - 1.2.1 becomes 1.2.2.1 on
the
next level (should be 1.2.1.1). I tried to copy/paste the gray number
but
that doesn't work.

This all worked more or less just fine in the last version of Word,
but
now
I can't seem to find the old way of doing it, if it still exists, and
all
the
MVP help documents say it's the wrong way anyway. Help is
appreciated,
this
is a frequently used template here at work, and to be able to set it
up
for
2007 as a template that WORKS would be amazing.

Thanks!

"Dawn Crosier, Word MVP" wrote:

Here's what works for me....

I then click the down arrow next to the multilevel list command in
the
Paragraph Group and select "Define New Multilevel List" (You will
also
use
this same command to make changes to the list.)

In the Define new Multilevel list dialog box, click the More button
so
you
can use the Link level to style. Be sure to modify your number
positions
so
that they do not conflict with what you defined in the paragraph
dialog
of
your style.

Click OK.

Now, when you apply the FirstLevel style to your paragraph it should
start
off with 1. When you apply the SecondLevel style it should start
with an
and continue with B, etc. When mark another paragraph with
FirstLevel
then
it should be a 2 and SecondLevel should start over with an A. (See
below)

1. FirstLevel
A. SecondLevel
B. SecondLevel
2. FirstLevel
A. SecondLevel
i. ThirdLevel
ii. ThirdLevel
B. SecondLevel
3. FirstLevel

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and
questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"Sam" wrote in message
I thought I understood paragraph numbering, but W2007 is vexing me.
Here
is
what I want:
-numbered paragraphs that automatically number the next paragraph
-to restart the numbering several times in the document
-paragraphs to be first-line indented, not hanging

I knew how to do it in prior Word, but W2007 reverts to hanging
paragraphs
when I try to do Restart Numbering, and then won't restart the
numbering
anyway. It is driving me crazy. I cannot get it to restart
numbering. I
tried
applying List 2, I tried creating a new style, but none of it seems
work.
What do I have to do?