Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default how to keep subject-verb agreement in merge document (word 2007)

You do it by including IF statements that conditionally insert the
appropriate verb/noun based on a field that indicates the quantity. For
example, consider the following text:

Dear «Name»,

We are enclosing your new widgets. We hope they meet your expectations.

Here, the "s" in widgets is really the following field:

{ IF { MERGEFIELD QUANTITY } = 1 "" "S"}

There is a data field named Quantity. If it's equal to 1, then "" (nothing)
is appended to the word "widget". If Quantity is not equal to 1, then an "s"
is appended to widget.

For the second sentence, we have a choice between "it meets" and "they
meet". This is handled with the following IF statement:

{ IF { MERGEFIELD QUANTITY } = 1 "it meets" "they meet"}

In Word 2007, you can insert an IF field by choosing Rules - If... Then...
Else in the Mailing ribbon tab.

--

Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible