Doug Robbins

Sorry, but I still do not have a picture of the structure of your table.

Question 1 - What are the field names?

Question 2 - What data is in each field for a typical record?

In the directory mailmerge main document, after you insert the table, but
before you do anything else, do you see the table?

If the text that you are talking about adding does not come from the records
in the datasource, it will have to be added after the merge has been
executed - otherwise, it will be repeated for each record in the datasource.
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"JohnB" wrote in message
Hi Doug. Thanks for the reply and sorry if my post wasn't clear. When I
said
"The table contains the following records:" I meant that "1 CPU" is a
record
with "1" as field one and "CPU" as field 2 etc. This is really just a
sample
that I'm using to see how to produce a merged Table.

Anyway, I've looked into your suggestion. In both the main or merged
document, when I click on Tables, I only see "Hide Gridlines". Even if I
deselect this and then select "Show Gridlines", no lines appear. Perhaps
there's some other global setting that I need to change.

In any case, this is all academic if I can't add either text or text and
other tables in the merge.

As for your last comment, I'm a bit confused. Yes, I know I could use a
query to supply the data and if I get it to work the way I want, I will
almost certainly be using a query in a real application. But, in this
sample,
this would be no different than supplying it from the table. I would still
want to see the data in a Word Table and surely supplying records from a
query rather than an Access Table would not make any difference?

Thanks again for the help. JohnB

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

Are CPU, Hard Drive, Keyboard and MSWord, records or fields in the
database?
What is the significance of the numbers 1,1,1 and 2 to the left of them?

Aside, from that, you may have a table in the document created by
executing
the merge and not realise it. From the Tables menu, select Show
Gridlines
and see if there are any which would indicate that the data is actually
in a
table.

Why not just however use a Select Query in Access to display the data
that
you want and then use the Publish it with Word item under the Tools menu
in
Access to get it into Word.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"JohnB" wrote in message
Hi. A search has given me some info on Directory Merge but I need more
help.
The following was from Doug Robbins:

"Use a Directory type mailmerge main document in which you have a one
row
table into the cells of which you insert the mergefields. If you have
nothing else in the document, when you execute the merge to a new
document,
that document will contain a table with a row of data for each record
in
the
data source"

I have tried this and I don't get what Doug suggests. My source is an
XP/Access 2000 table and I'm merging to Word 2002. The table contains
the
following records:

1 CPU
1 Hard Drive
1 Keyboard
2 MSWord

When I create a Catalogue/Directory merge (using "merge it with
microsoft
word" from the Access table) and then merge to a new document I get:

1 CPU1 Hard drive1 Keyboard2 MS Word2

If I enter a carriage return after the second merge field, I do get
them
forming into columns but not in a table. (i.e in a grid layout like an
Excel
spreadsheet or an Access table).

Am I misunderstanding what is supposed to happen? Also, is it really
the
case that you can't have anything else in the document? I was hoping to
merge
to a document containing at least some text and ideally some text and a
second table. I can see what happens when you put some text in - is
there
no
way around this?

Thanks, JohnB