Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Default losing reference info

Hi ?B?TGFycnkgVm95ZXI=?=,

Caption labels are stored in the Normal.dot template. Really strange design
decision - caption labels don't travel with a document; they stay on the
originating computer.

It sounds as if your Normal.dot has been misplaced or lost. But perhaps, now you
know what file to look for, you can find it again? (Note: on newer installations
it will be a hidden file in a hidden folder, so you need to make sure you tell
Windows to search all hidden stuff, as well.)

I have a document with a lot of custom captions. While I work on the document
there is no problem adding/inserting the various caption types.

However, after a power sequence on my PC and reopening the document, the
only references available to me are Equations, Figures and Tables. My dozen
or so custom caption labels are no longer available.

Prior to shutdown, I tried saving the dot file. When I opened the dot file
after power up, the custom references were there. When I opened my docukment
and attached the dot file (using auto update), still no custom
references(labels).

Can someone tell me what's going on??????

There are hundreds of these custom label in my document and I can't afford --

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)