Larry

Thanks a lot, Beth. I just looked for that today and couldn't find it.
I copied here what you wrote. It looks like there's no automatic way to
do this. If I have a document with 40 or 50 hyperlinks, I'd have to do
this manually with each one.

But even if I'm trying to change just a couple of links, I don't follow
the instructions, namely these three steps:

- Copy the Hyperlink field
- Insert the file path into the Hyperlink field
- Paste the Hyperlink field and insert the next file path, etc.

I copy the field, then I insert (manually) a path into it, and then I
paste the field?

Thanks,
Larry

You can use the /n switch to prevent the document from closing but in
Word 97 the only way I have found for this to work correctly is to
insert the hyperlinks using Insert/Field and add the switch there. If
I just add the \n to the existing hyperlink field then the document
will close after clicking the link.

If there are a lot of hyperlinks that need to be corrected then here's
the steps I've used in the past:

- Go to Insert/Field and select the Hyperlink field
- Add only the /n switch to the Hyperlink field and insert it into the
document (it will display as an error).
- Use Alt + F9 to toggle the field codes
- Copy the Hyperlink field
- Insert the file path into the Hyperlink field
- Paste the Hyperlink field and insert the next file path, etc.
- Press Alt + F9 to toggle off the display of field codes
- Press Ctrl + A to select the entire document
- Press F9 to update all of the Hyperlink fields

Otherwise if the document is dirty then it will not close when you
click a hyperlink.

FWIW versions after Word 97 do not exhibit the same behavior - they
modified it due to user feedback.

Beth Melton wrote:
Here's the response I posted:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...docmanagement/
browse_frm/thread/2a58b12407b015a7/85d6b07116e6bf60

"Larry" wrote in message
I posted this December 16 but I don't see it on the list, so here
goes
again.

In Word 97, how can I prevent a document (if it has no unsaved
changes
in it) from closing when I click on a hyperlink to another document?

Thanks
LarryT