abs

Default Bates Numbering

I'm trying to help my users do Bates numbering. Payne Consulting used to
have a free program you could download, but it only creates one page now.
We're dealing with exhibits that can be hundreds of pages long. The one
thing we tried was to create an Excel spreadsheet, type the first number
(i.e., 05-Bates-001) and then use the fill handle to fill in the numbers up
to 1000 (i.e., 05-Bates-1000). We then saved that document and used it to do
a mail merge in Word using the Avery 5267 labels. That works, but I was
wondering if there was a better way to do this. We are currently using Word
2002, but will be upgrading (starting next week) to Word 2003.