Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
DeanH DeanH is offline

Default Mail Merge - create individual documents

Thanks for the quick response.

My template is not too long, once merged the bottom line is over an inch
away from the footer. Due to the information I am merging (numbers and names)
the merged document never gets close to the footer.
I have merged just one page, this ends with a Section Break(Continuous), all
on one page.
Run the macro, now ends with Section Break (Next Page) and a blank new page
(obviously). Section Break (Continuous) has disappeared.
I understand that the macro doesnot add the section break, but can I slot in
to the macro some script to delete the Next Page before the individual file
is saved?

Many thanks
DeanH

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The macro does not *add* a section break to the document, but splits on the
section break and should not do what you report. If you merge just one
record does that merged document have an unwanted page? My guess is that
your merge document is just a tad too long to fit on the page without
forcing the final paragraph mark to a new page. Try deleting that last
paragraph mark (or reformatting it as 1 point size) so that it all stays on
the same page.

DeanH wrote:
Hi Doug.

The last macro (SplitMergeLetter, as I am Word2000) works wonderfully.
Just one comment, what script can I add to this macro to tidy up the
individual documents because they are saved with a Section Break
(NextPage), and one paragraph mark for the new blank page, at the end
of each file.

This would just finish a wonderful job.
Many thanks again.

"DeanH" wrote:

Many thanks Peter and Doug.
I shall give these instructions a go, so cross-fingers for me.

Thanks again.
DeanH

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

See the "Individual Merge Letters" item on fellow MVP Graham
Mayor's website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm

If you were using Word XP or later, the "Add-in to Merge Letters to
Separate Files" that I have written and that can be downloaded from
that site would allow you to create each letter as a separate file
with a filename taken from a field in the data source with a
minimum of fuss.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"DeanH" wrote in message
Word 2000SP3 on Windows 2000 SP4

I have set up a mail merge from an Excel source, this is not a
problem. But
is it possible for the merge to automatically create individual
documents from the data set for each record?
Also is it possible for the new individual documents to be renamed
with say
the "Name" field?

Many thanks in advance.
DeanH