Shauna Kelly

Hi bvuk

I assume that you're using Heading 1 style to number your chapters? If so,
then as a test, I suggest you try the following:

Insert a paragraph and apply style Heading 1. Since you're already in
Chapter 4, this should be numbered 5.

Immediately after that, insert a caption. It should be numbered 5-1.

If that doesn't work properly, then do Insert Reference Caption. Click
Numbering, and make sure that the "Chapter starts with style" box refers to
Heading 1.

Hope this helps. If not, post back and let us know what heading style you
are using for your chapter numbering, and what are the settings when you
click Numbering in the Caption dialog box.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"bvuk" wrote in message
Really strange problem - it used to work and it still does for my backuped
version of the file (in question). The problem might have been affected
with
changes I was doing on the template for the current document.

However, I don't know how this condition was created nor I know how to fix
it.

Word 2003
Insert - Reference - Caption
When I want to insert 'table' the Word gives me only Table 1-1, even
though
it should be Table 4-1 (I am in the chapter 4).

As I said, the same document, backuped file (2 weeks old), is available. I
am not able to see the difference in the formatting - everything looks the
same between these two documents.

In that old document,
Insert - Reference - Caption
gives me Table 4-1.

As I said, in my current document,
Insert - Reference - Caption
gives me Table 1-1.

Really frustrating. Any help highly appreciated.