Iggy101

Default word wont paste once it has copied the selected text

I have just bought a new laptop, and the Word program on it will not paste
any text which I have selected and copied. I have tried all ways to copy it
i.e. using keyboard shortcuts and the menus etc. Once I have highlighted the
text and copied or cut it the paste board activates so I know that is working
ok, but when I come to paste the selected text elsewhere in the document the
paste icon on the toolbar fades, showing it has done what I have asked but
the text does not appear back in the document. When I cut the text it
disappears from its original spot, but still won't paste where I want it to.
I would be very grateful if anybody could offer me advice on how to fix this.