Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Emlyn B Emlyn B is offline

Default Header Record Delimiters dialog when opening mailmerge document

I have created a mailmerge document which uses a datafile (saved as a text
file). This would look like below:

DATE_REPORT}RUN_ID}TEMPLATE_ID
}SPAIDEN_PIDM}SPAIDEN_ID}HUS_ID}SURNAME}FIRST_NAME }MIDDLE_NAME}DATE_BIRTH}DEGR_CODE}DEGR_LONG_TITLE} DEGR_FIELD_STUDY}DEGR_CLASS}DEGR_PROF_STATUS$
27 January
2009}1010722}DSUPP.TXT}999999}00012345}123456789}x x}xxxx}xxxx}xxxx}1101}xxxx:
ARCHITECTURE}ARCHITECTURE}Upper Second}Royal Institute of British Architects$

When I first create the document in 2007 Word I would expect to be prompted
to set the delimiters, which would be } for the field delimiter and $ for the
record delimiter. However after saving it, when I go back into the document,
I get prompted to set the delimiter again in the 'Header Record Delimiters'
dialog box again. I have just converted the document from 2003 Word and I was
not prompted to enter the delimiters again each time I opened the document.
So, my question is why is 2007 Word not recognising my first recording of the
delimiters. Would there be a way of resolving this since when our users will
use this document, they would not be able to understand the 'Header Record
Delimiters' dialog? Many thanks Emlyn