Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Word Table-Automatically show a $ in the money column?

While Excel is possibly the simplest solution, it is posible to convert
numbers to fields using a macro. The following macro will format as currency
the number in the table cell that contains the cursor. Attached to a
keyboard shortcut it is as near 'automatic' as you will get. The resulting
fields can be calculated, unlike plain text entries with currency symbols.

Sub FormatNumberInCellAsField()
Dim sNum As String
With Selection
.SelectCell
.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
sNum = .Text
If sNum = "" Then Exit Sub
sNum = sNum & " \# ,$0.00"
With .Fields
.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Type:=wdFieldEmpty, _
Text:="= " & sNum, _
PreserveFormatting:=False
.Update
End With
End With
ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
End Sub

Charitychic wrote:
In Word, I have made a table with names of donors, their address, and
the amounts they donated. One column is money amounts...I would like
to just type in say, 25 and have it come out as $25. How do I get the
$ in there automatically?