Dawn Crosier

Word does have trouble building very large tables. One thing that you
can do is to split your tables into smaller tables. Therefore, Word
will not have to *build* the long columns of information. If that is
not an acceptable alternative, then you can change the font
temporarily to Draft Font to speed it up. You need to be in Normal
view then select Tools, Options from the menu, choose the View tab and
check the Draft font box.

This page describes more options which will enable you to improve
performance: http://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfms/FastTables.htm

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and
questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm being driven slowly insane by the "Word is repaginating" message
appearing whilst I work on a Word document which is now around 1,500
long (all text, in tables) and would be very grateful for any help.
hope this is an appropriate question for this group.

When I move to any of the couple of thousand endnotes the screen
pauses
for anything from a few seconds to a few minutes during which time
the
"Word is repaginating" message appears at the bottom of the screen.
All
of the page numbers (from 1 to the page upon which the end note
appears, i.e. up to 1,500) are counted through.

At work (using Microsoft Word 2003) on a fairly good computer bought
in
late 2004, this can take 10-20 seconds each time I move to an
endnote.
At home (using Microsoft Word 2002) on a computer bought in
mid-2004,
this can take minutes.

Given that I want to make this document available freely on the
Internet for other people to us, I'd keen to resolve this rather
irritating problem...

I've done a few searches on the Internet on the "Word is
repaginating"
message and tried:
(1) cutting and pasting all the material into a new document - no
difference;
(2) cutting and pasting all the material apart from the last few
paragraph marks into a new document - no joy;
(3) changing the view from Page Layout to Normal - but this does not
reflect how the document will look when I print it out...
(4) converting the document into a .rtf file - but this loses all
the
formatting, including the hundreds of tables that make up the
document
and help organise the information within it...

The only other comments I've had from people I've raised this with
are
that:
(a) I shouldn't have used a Microsoft product (or at least Word) to
create such a long document - but after 2 years work on the relevant
document I'm reluctant to change now..., or
(b) I should split the document into smaller bits - which reduces
the
ease of searching the entire document and making global
replacements.

The whole document is about 30Mb in size (which is another issue
entirely...), and about 3Mb when zipped. In case it helps in giving
any advice, I'm including a link below to a zipped file containing a
short extract (about 75 pages) from that document that I recently
made
available on the Internet:
http://tinyurl.com/9rskk

Many thanks in advance,