Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Styles changing on thier own

A possible source of trouble is that changing the indentation for numbered
styles should be done via the numbering options, not via the Paragraph
dialog box. (But note that this may be less of a problem in Word 2007 than
in older versions.)

The other thing to check is if you are updating styles from the template
(which could definitely be a source of trouble). If so, turn that option off
by clearing the "Automatically update document styles" option in the
Templates and Add-Ins dialog box.

To display the dialog box: Office button | Word Options, Add-Ins category.
For "Manage," choose "Templates," and then click Go.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"J Weir" wrote in message
In Word 2007 I have a heading style and two bulleted list styles that keep
chaniging on their own - they indent themselves by a few centimetres each.
reset and save the styles only to have it happen again.

I haven't been able to identify the triggger - I have tried to trace the
change throught Undo but have not been able to locate it. The change
happens
both during editing and after closing and reopening.

I am going to print the sytles out in both states to see if that can tell
me
anything further.

Any ideas please?