Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default HUGE if statements...lots of blank space

It's difficult to tell why without seeing the document or a really accurate
transcription of the field codes, but my best guess is as follows.

Suppose you have

{ IF b = c "d" "" }
{ IF e = f "g" "" }

then if both comparisons fail you will get

because there is a paragraph mark after each IF field, and it will always be
inserted.

If you use

a{ IF b = c "d" "" }{ IF e = f "g" "" }i

you won't get these extra paragraph marks.

If you want to long chunks of field codes a bit easier to read (but with
more problems switching from field code view to field result view, because
of repagination, unless you're in "Normal View"), you can use

a{ IF b = c "d" ""
}{ IF e = f "g" ""
}i

Peter Jamieson

"Heather" wrote in message
oups.com...
I thought that a false result returning nothing should have "" double
quotations?

macropod wrote:
Hi Heather,

The trick to suppressing the inclusion of extraneous text, spaces &
carriage
returns/line feeds in to conditionally include them in your IF tests.

For example, instead of having a space after:
{IF{MERGEFIELD admittype}= HS {IF{MERGEFIELD evalcmp111}= 2010
{IF{MERGEFIELD evalcmpvalue111}= 80 {IF{MERGEFIELD evalcmpvalue111} 85
"{INCLUDETEXT "c:\\master_comment.doc" admission_award_80_to_84}"}}}}
when the result is empty, delete the space following the field and encode
the field as:
{IF{MERGEFIELD admittype}= HS {IF{MERGEFIELD evalcmp111}= 2010
{IF{MERGEFIELD evalcmpvalue111}= 80 {IF{MERGEFIELD evalcmpvalue111} 85
"{INCLUDETEXT "c:\\master_comment.doc" admission_award_80_to_84} "}}}}

You can replace the space following the INCLUDETEXT field with a text
string
and/or a carriage return/line feed, if appropriate. You can just as
readily
incorporate the conditional text, spaces & carriage returns/line feeds
ahead
of the INCLUDETEXT field - you can even do both. Simply put all of the
conditional text within the quote characters used to define the bounds of
the true result.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Heather" wrote in message
oups.com...
Twice in a day...sorry, guys.

So I'm working on my merge codes, and the document is insanely large.
Like, really big. Pages and pages of merge code IF statements - there
are a ton of variables. My two page letter is up to 12 pages of merge
code.

Problem is that when I have false results, and I specify "", I'm
getting a huge amount of blank space in my letters after I complete the
merge.

Thoughts? Would a switch help with something like this?

Heather