Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QkxhbnNpbmdlcg==?=,

It has to do with how fields within fields are executed; basically, it's
executing once for the IF field check, and once "for itself". Try this:

Rather than a Fillin field within the IF field, insert an ASK field somewhere
before the IF field (at the beginning of the doc, for instance). An ASK field
doesn't display its contents, instead, it puts them in a bookmark.

In the IF field, insert a REF field to pick up the ASK field's contents, in
place of the current Fillin field.

I am trying to get a letter that we use in my office to only ask me a
specific question when performing the merge. It works OK but for some reason
when I actually type something into the fillin box (instead of leaving blank
as it should be for the rest of the office) it asks the fillin question for
the twice. Can anyone see why it is doing this, I am missing something, I
guess...

IF {USERNAME}\*MERGEFORMAT}= "Bradley Lansinger, CPCS" "{FILLIN "Is there a
contact listed for {MERGEFIELD AFFILIATION_NAME}that this letter should be
addressed to?" }" ""}

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org