Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Using mail merge with multiple certificates on 1 MS Word page

In your mail merge main document, insert a { NEXT } field (it's the same as
a Next Record field) before each copy of your certificate layout,
/except/ the very first one.

{ NEXT } makes Word move to the next record in the data source.

For example, if your page has

certificate 1
various certificate text and fields
certificate 2
various certificate text and fields
certificate 3
various certificate text and fields

you need

certificate 1
various certificate text and fields
Next record
certificate 2
various certificate text and fields
Next record
certificate 3
various certificate text and fields

You can insert a Next record field in various ways, but if you cannot
find the relevant option in a task pane or toolbar, you can do it as
follows:
a. use ctrl-F9 to insert a pair of the special field braces that look like
this: { }
b. type NEXT between the {} to give you { NEXT }

Peter Jamieson

"tim" tim @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I am trying to use the mail merge function of MS Word to create gift
certificates. I have unique information like the employee name,
department,
amount etc. that has to be printed on each certificate, so I set up a
template/document, and then a data file with the unique information. The
merge works well when I only have one certificate per page, but I want to
print 3 or 4 certificates per page. When I tried to add multiple
certificates on the same page (by copying the first certificate), I got 3
certificates with the same information. Is there a way to increment the
merge field, so that the data displayed will be from the next record? Any
other suggestions on how to make this work? thanks, tim