Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mi Tasol Mi Tasol is offline

Default How do I stop styles from changing when I save and reopen thefile

On Dec 18, 1:18*pm, "macropod" wrote:
Hi waveluna,

This is happening because:
a) you've changed the styles from thos of the template upon which the document is based; and
b) the 'Automatically update document styles' option is checked, under Tools|Templates and Add-ins.
Unchecking the *'Automatically update document styles' option will prevent the style reversion. The better practice, though, is to
use a template with the appropriate style definitions.

--
Cheers
macropod

"waveluna" wrote in ...
I frequently use styles to format my documents. *However, sometimes I have
noticed that when I save a document, close it and then open it later, the
style formats have changed. *This most often seems to happen on Headers - for
example when I save the file there will be outline numbering applied to
Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. but when I open it next time the numbering is gone
or the font on the numbering has changed. *I've also had my paragraph spacing
change - such as I changed a style to only have 4pt after a paragraph and
when I reopen the document (or someone else opens it) the style has reverted
back to having 6pt after the paragraph.

This becomes problematic when I have to keep changing the styles back every
time I leave and come back.

This has happened on multiple documents. *I would greatly appreciate a
solution as it tends to suck up time I don't have!

Thanks!

I can greatly sympathize with waveluna on this one and wait for the
updates and other feedback

- I have auto update turned off so that is not the problem for me
anyway
- I never change styles outside of the template - EXCEPT to correct
the damage that word has done. PERIOD.
- the template is read only to "prevent" corruption
- trying to open the template gets an insufficient disk space or
memory error - its a 800 k file.
- copying the template and renaming to .doc it opens fine and all the
styles are perfect
- I tried copying the styles from the template to the file in
organiser - the wurdified numbering remains, so, like waveluna I have
to waste time redoing the styles OR copy the whole thing as
unformatted text into "template.doc" and reformat the whole document
to the styles. In a big procedures manual (several with over 100
section breaks) this is a nightmare in docs with 8 heading level
styles, 10 para styles (including things like caption) etc.

Glad I am not the only one with this

Mi Tasol