Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Bob on Whidbey Bob on Whidbey is offline

Default After mail merge, "File format is not valid" error when opening XLS file

While completing a mail merge in Word, I edited a few fields in the
data base (an XLS file). Upon closing Word, I was asked if I wanted to
save the changes to the data base. Of course I said yes. All
subsequent attempts to open that XLS file have been blocked with the
error message in Excel: "File format is not valid". I am using Office
2003.

It seems like Word has created a different version of the file for its
purposes, and overwritten the XLS file in the process. Yet, it's hard
to believe that Word would create a different version of the file and
keep the same file extension!

What do I need to do to open that XLS file in Excel?