Graham Mayor

Actually they are not - they are backwards compatible but later versions
contain refinements that are not implemented in earlier versions. Thus full
compatibility will be dictated by what is actually in the document.

Chuck Davis wrote:
Word files after Word 97 are identical. I have Word 2000 on one
computer and Word 2003 on the other. Though file sharing, I am
constantly opening that same file from either computer.
"TomG" wrote in message
I have many systems running and need to be able to move documents
between them. Some run Office 2000, others run Office 2003. I have
not been able to
open documents in Office 2000 Word that were created using Office
2003 Word.
This is unacceptable. Does anyone know a work-around or do I have to
trash the Office 2003 application and stick with Office 2000?