Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Smart Art Templates for Word 2007

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:15:50 PST, Hollis Paul
wrote:

The Microsoft Office Newsletter tells from where to download some new
smart art templates. I did that, and put them in a folder of my
choosing, as they did not suggest an Office folder. The instructions
are to open Word 2007, click insert - smart art - and choose a gallery.
Well, surprise, surprise, they aren't showing up in any gallery. How
do I tell Word 2007 where to look for the new templates? Or, to where
should I move them to have them show up?

The download page should have placed a .glox file in the hidden folder
C:\Documents and Settings\your name\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates\SmartArt Graphics. If you downloaded it to
somewhere else, copy or move it there.

You may have to search through the SmartArt gallery for the new
template. The template itself tells Word which category to put it in,
but the web page doesn't give you any hint of where to find it. For
example, the Picture Organization Chart template goes into the
Hierarchy group, while the Tabbed Arc template goes rather arbitrarily
into the Relationship group. (If you know the trick of changing the
extension from .glox to .zip and opening the archive, you can find the
category in the \diagrams\layoutHeader1.xml file.)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman