Dian D. Chapman, MVP

This is just a fact of life when you have multiple versions on your
system. I run several here and it's always a wait time as the new
version resets on opening after using another version.

However, although I don't have 97 on this system any longer, I don't
remember it asking for a disk when I switch??? You might try
reinstalling 97 once to see if that helps. You will still get the
delay between version...but you shouldn't have to insert a CD each
time.

Good luck...

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:05:02 -0800, DavidOfMA
wrote:

I have both Word 97 and Word 2000 on my system. I'd prefer to use Word 97 for
most documents, as it's faster and some of my macros won't work with Word
2000 because of the lack of child windows in Word 2000. Occasionally I want
to use Word 2000. Whenever I start Word 2000, it requests the Office 2000
disk and runs the installer. This occurs even if I run a shortcut directly to
the Winword.exe file. Apparently, running Word 97 resets some registry key
such that Word 2000 "thinks" it's corrupted. Is there any way to occasionally
run Word 2000 but mostly use Word 97 as the default Microsoft Word app for
.DOC, .DOT, and .RTF files?

Thanks, and hope this is clear.

- David