Geoff

Default Tab at 0.63 cm

Jay,

Many thanks for the tip on finding tab characters. (I should
have known that or discovered it for myself! I think I lapsed
into WordStar/WordPerfect mode!)

Your code is interesting: VBA will find paragraphs with
specific tab stops, yet the user-interface will or won't
depending on which machine you're using. Mmmm... As the Find
or Replace dialog provides for tab-stop searches, then they
should work at the user-interface (so it would seem). I look
forward to your further tests with interest.

Geoff

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Hi Taz,

I don't have any trouble locating tab characters either, using

^t.

The trouble was in trying to locate text that has a particular

tab stop in
its paragraph formatting, whether or not there's a tab

character leading to
that tab stop. This involves clicking the Format button in the

Find dialog,
selecting Tab, and entering the kind of tab stop you want to

find. Last
night on my home PC it wouldn't find any text with, for

instance, a 2"
left-aligned tab stop even though the document does contain

text like that.
Today on my work PC, it finds it with no problem. Now I don't

know what's
going on... more results later.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

CyberTaz wrote:
Hi Jay-

FWIW, I've found no problem locating default or custom tabs

with the
^t (Word 2003 or 2002) _unless_ the tab is the result of

Bullets &
Numbering. It does, oddly enough, find tabs in a TOC.

Regards |:)

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 01:21:25 -0000, "Geoff"

wrote:
[snip]
Incidentally, how would I search for a tab character? The
Format button in the Replace dialog seems only to permit
searching for a tab stop (but then the search fails to

find
anything). Also, Ctrl-Tab doesn't enter a tab character.

Thanks again for the leads. I thought you might like to

know
where they took me.

Geoff

I'll let Shauna answer the important part of your question,

since she
knows a lot more than I about numbering and styles.

Regarding the Replace dialog, it will search for a tab

character if
you put the code ^t in the Find What box. If you don't

remember the
code, click the More button, then the Special button, and

select Tab
Character from the list.

When I used the Format button and selected Tab to define a

tab stop
to search for, it didn't find the tab stops in the

document. I think
that's a bug. However, I was able to do it with a macro

like this:

Sub FindTabStop()
Dim oRg As Range

Set oRg = ActiveDocument.Range
With oRg.Find
.ClearFormatting
.Text = ""
.ParagraphFormat.TabStops.Add _
Position:=InchesToPoints(2), _
Alignment:=wdAlignTabLeft
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = True
.MatchWildcards = False
If .Execute Then
oRg.Select
End If
End With
End Sub

The macro recorder won't correctly create this kind of

macro.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman