Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

Default Can't delete file after rename/save as

I've seen something similar to that in the past - as in before 2007. Any
time you do a Save As, you have to close the new file before you can delete
the old one.

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
So I am going about converting my .doc files to .docx files. (I don't
know the compelling logic behind the change of extension, but it has
definitely been a big productivity boost for me.)

I load a .doc file and "Save as" ,docx. Now I have 2 files with the
same name and a different extension.

Since I opened it from Explorer, I just Alt-Tab back and try to delete
the old one. But it won't let me do that. Even thogh Word is no longer
editing the old one, the error message says that it is. I have to
close the new one before I can delete the old one.

Do these guys do any testing at all?

Is there a utility that will convert all of the docs in a folder to
the new format and erase the old ones?

I tried just renaming it, but then Word is too stupid to load it. Too
simple and obvious, I guess.

Anyone have a better method? I have several thousand to do.

I am actually starting to like at least some of the new features, but
the migration plan is a disaster. Arrogance or stupidity.

--
Office 2007 Pro on WinXP