Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Missing Caption Number

This is a bit of a mystery. :-( If possible, I'd be interested in
taking a look at the file.

Your observation is correct: Alt+F9 doesn't change anything; it just
displays the underlying field codes for all fields (tables of contents,
tables of figures, cross-references, hyperlinks, etc.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

On 2012-05-31 14:43 (GMT+1), Himmelswüst wrote:
'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;492536']There is a switch available to hide SEQ fields, but that can't
be it,
because you would have seen it when displaying field codes. If you
display hidden text in Word, does that reveal something then?

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

No, unfortunately switching on the display hidden text box in the
Options dialog box does not display the missing caption either.

I've just realized that pressing alt+F9 does not permanently change my
TOC. So I've once again pressed alt+F9 and then clicked on *one of* the
fields and then chose "update fields". Again, this did not work. Or does
the update fields command work in some other unfathomable way ...?

It's a tiresome process. Luckily, I'm not under any huge time pressure
..!

[/i][/color]