Himmelswüst Himmelswüst is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post
OK. F9 is the command to update the fields in the selection.

As I wrote in a previous reply, when you update the TOC field, any
manual changes applied to it will be lost. The fix is to remove any
direct formatting applied to headings (modify the heading styles
instead); then the formatting of TOC entries will be determined by the
TOC 1, TOC 2, etc. styles.
--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[/i][/color]
Maybe I misunderstood your previous reply, but as I had answered, I am indeed using styles to format my TOC -- but I find it extremely bothersome to have to apply those styles all over again every time I might have to update the TOC, especially as I would in addition have to define an entirely new TOC every time because an entire level is missing.

I'm not sure whether your suggestion really means that I would have to use the heading styles supplied by word. If so, that strikes me as an equally tiresome solution because I would have to overwrite them instead of adding my own. Furthermore, the solution appears to involve my using the same heading styles for the headings as they are formatted in the text as for the ones that are part of the TOC -- which again is something I do not want to do, because they need to be formatted differently.

Apart from this, I still can't figure out the numbering issue