Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Why my undo function does not work

When/if using /a "solves" a problem, it usually means that a registry entry,
normal.dot, or another add-in is causing the problem. The ultimate solution
is to delete the errant registry entry or the corrupt normal.dot or other
add-in. If you use /a as a permanent solution, you will discover that none
of your options or other settings/customizations will last beyond the
current session.

Because of this, and because /a is a troubleshooting diagnostic rather than
a solution, we often point users to:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

for how to cement the repair without forgoing the ability to customize
options and settings.

(Note that despite the fact that this is named "Problems Opening Word," it's
really much broader than that. Some of the same issues that can prevent Word
from opening properly can cause other problems as well.)

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Ken" wrote in message
Hi, Suzanne,
I think the key word (no pun intended) is "should". When I held down Ctrl
key when starting Word, I was asked to confirm to start in safe mode. It
did not solve my problem. However, when I start Word with /a thru either
Run or a new short cut, no confirmation is required and it resolved my
problem. IMHO, this is also show that how immature the software industry
is. If you put in reverse gear and your BMW goes forward rather than
backward, you will scream at the car maker which will fix the problem.
What do you do when the most popular word processing software does not
work the way it should be, the software manufacturer will do nothing.
Well, fortunately, we can ask for MVPs.
Thanks again for all the helps provided promptly and freely by all MVPs.
We know you guys do not work for Microsoft. But you are sometime the only
life line of the users of Microsoft products.
Regards,
Ken
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
There should be no difference between starting in Safe Mode using the
Ctrl
key and starting in Safe Mode using the /a switch. Note that this is a
diagnostic, not a way forward.

so
all may benefit.

"Ken" wrote in message
Hi, Herb and Cindy,
Thanks for your help. I tried the following ways without success:
1. Start Word in safe mode by holding down Ctrl key.
2. Delete the Data key of Word in registry.
However, I resolved the problem by starting word with /a command line
option.
Thanks again for your help and hopefully my experience can save some
time
for other troubled users.
Ken
"Cindy M." wrote in message
Hi Ken,

I bought a new notebook computer and installed Word 2003. Everything
seems
to be working fine except Undo and Redo functions. I just could not
use
these functions. After I types some texts into my documents and move

the
cursor to the Undo or Redo buttons, the message can't undo or can't

redo
will appear. It will be greatly appreciated if anyone can suggest
some
solutions to this annoying problem.

Well, my first thought is that you may have some kind of Add-in loaded
that's
clearing the Undo buffer.

If you start Word in Safe Mode, by holding CTRL, you get the

installation
defaults. Does Undo/Redo work in Safe Mode?

If not, try starting Windows in Safe Mode and test in Word again.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

or