Insert | Cross-reference (Insert | Reference | Cross-reference in Word
2002/2003).

"Jeff" wrote in message
I think I used to know how to do this, but no longer remember.

In a text I am writing, I would occasionally write "Fig x" referring to an
illustration somewhere in the text. I believe there is a way to link that
reference to the image I am referring to so that should that Figure number
later change, the reference in the text would also correct itself
automatically. I only want the text reference to show the figure number,

not
the rest of the caption text description.

How is that done?

Thanks.

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam