Jeff

Thanks.

I hope I have not accidentally turned off automatic updating of these
fields. I ask because I notice that when I move an image, the figure number
does not update "automatically" unless I click on it and specifically ask it
to "update". Should this update not happen automatically when the order of
the images change?

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Insert | Cross-reference (Insert | Reference | Cross-reference in Word
2002/2003).

"Jeff" wrote in message
I think I used to know how to do this, but no longer remember.

In a text I am writing, I would occasionally write "Fig x" referring
to an illustration somewhere in the text. I believe there is a way
to link that reference to the image I am referring to so that should
that Figure number later change, the reference in the text would
also correct itself automatically. I only want the text reference to
show the figure number, not the rest of the caption text description.

How is that done?

Thanks.