Michael

Cindy,

Thanks again for taking the time to help pinpoint the problem - but still no
luck

I renamed Normal.dot then created 2 documents:

Chapter2.doc has 3 pages with a link on the first page to a bookmark on page
3.
The link is {PAGEREF Heading2 \p \h"} and in Chapter2.doc displays the text
"on page 3"

I then closed Chapter2.doc, and created a new document MainDocument.doc with
an INCLUDETEXT to Chapter2.doc

In MainDocument.doc, the link is displayed as "below" (even though the
bookmark appears on page 4 of MainDocument.doc)

I then closed Word and opened in Safe mode and repeated the above with new
documents - I am still getting the wrong links

Any other suggestions?
If you want to see an example of the problem, I placed a copy of the tests I
created at the following link:
http://sedleywrites.info/Files/WordLinkTest3.zip

TIA,

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Michael,

This is a problem that developed several months after I started using
this
method to insert chapters into other documents - however, since the
problem
appeared, it is happening on all my documents - I tried creating new
documents, importing different chapters into new or old documents - the
bookmarked cross-references are not working on any of the documents

In this case, I would suspect a problem in your Normal.dot template. Try
renaming Normal.dot to NormalOLD.dot.

Now create a new set of documents for testing the basic principle. Do NOT
try
using any documents you already have.

If this still doesn't help, try booting Word in SAFE MODE, create a new
set of
documents and test. If it works correctly now, then you're probably
looking at
a third-party tool interfering (although I can't imagine what it would be,
or
how it could be having this effect).

It is possible that it is related to my version of Word (2002, SP3), or
possibly related in a patch or upgrade that I installed (although I don't
specifically remember installing a patch recently)

If you want, I could send you (off list) an example of the documents with
the problem.

Any other ideas suggestions?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland