Michael

Cindy,

Thanks again for the help - you're right that when I updated fields (CTRL+A,
then F9) several time eventually Word displayed the correct page number -
the problem is that as it's quite a long document, each update fields took a
long time and this doesn't seem like an ideal solution

Thanks again for your assistance - at least I now have the information I
need whether to continue using this method of inserting chapters or I should
look into alternatives.

Michael

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Michael,

If I remove the /p switch, I still get the wrong page number - it points
the last page that the inserted text appears on, not the page that the
bookmark appears on.

Did you try updating it a couple of times, consecutively? I had to update
all
the fields in the document two or three times to get things to show
properly.

In the meantime, a couple of people looked at this, with varying degrees
of
success. It appears it's not only the version of Word (newer seems to have
more problems than older); not sure if the printer drivers, or Windows, or
what is also involved. In general, multiple field updates, or actually
PRINTING the document usually yielded correct results they report, even
with
the \p switch still in the field.

Chances are good the problem will looked at for a future version of
Office.

Is this bug related to this version of Word, does it behave differently
in
the latest version of Office?

Is there anyway that I can monitor whether Microsoft classify this as a
bug
that will be fixed, and know whether a fix will be included in a future
patch?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org