Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Luvsql Luvsql is offline

Default Saving mail merge template not saving setting in address block

It is not different data sources. It is always CRM, which is SQL Server.

I am positive that the country setting is not marked. How do you add a
switch to this window?

I am positive that it is not applying it to the other fields as only the
first label shows the country. If I go back, then right-click to edit and
mark the country for the second label, it then prints the country. I don't
want to have to do this for 2500 labels.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

If you need the users to be able to connect to different data sources and
you are therefore unlinking the data source from the document before saving
it as a template, you will lose any mappings you have set up (it doesn't
really matter how you unlink the data source).

So yes, you do have to recreate the mappings when you attach a new data
source. You may be able to simplify that by using a VBA macro, but only
after the data source has been attached - in other words, you couldn't put
the macro code in an AutoOpen macro unless that also opened the data source.

However, I don't experience the same problem as you when I create a new
document based on a template. Yes, I have to go into the mappings again, but
the ADDRESSBLOCK field is still set up to include the country. Are you sure
it is changing? (the option is stored as a \c 1 switch in the field and I
don't see any reason that it would change)..

Further, the mappings are independent of any individual field, so once you
have edited the first ADDRESSBLOCK field, the others should apply the
mapping also. It's possible that when you are previewing the change isn't
immediately apparent.

i.e., I don't think you should need to propagate. But if I am wrong and you
do need to do that, you need to ensure that the document is set to be a
label type merge. If you unlinked the data source before saving the
doc/template, you probably turned it into "Not a merge document". However,
if you enable the mail merge toolbar, use the first button to seelect the
label type merge, cancel out of the label dialog, then save the document, it
should be saved as a label type merge and the Propagate option should be
available.

Wish it was simpler. You can of course avoid ADDRESSBLOCK altogether and use
individual merge fields nested within the necessary IF fields, and avoid
mapping altogether.

Peter Jamieson

"Luvsql" wrote in message
We are using CRM and need to link certain fields in a mail merge, plus
mark
the option to always include the country field. I can do this on a new
mail
merge, then update all labels, however, I need to save these settings, so
that the user printing the labels does not have to re-map the fields etc.
As
well, we wanted to save the specific label size and margin settings, so we
need to save as a template.

When we use the saved template, the field mappings are back to the default
and the country is not marked. If I right-click on the first one, I can
re-map and mark to print the country, however, it only applies to the
first
label and there is no update all labels. How do I apply this to the
remaining hundred or so labels?