Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Laura R

Default Word 2003 opens slowly

I just updated to Microsoft Office 2003. My fiiles are so slow to open. I
read posts, and disconnected my Norton antivirus, which helped with Excel
opening quicker. Word is still slow.

When I open Word through Run: winword.exe /a Word opens very quickly. I
notice under templates and add-ins when I open it through "run" that the
boxes are not checked for DVZWDAddin.dot and PDFwriter97.dot, which I believe
is why it's opening so quickly that way.

When I open Word not through "run" but just by clicking on the icon on my
desktop, the two boxes above are checked, and it takes forever to open any
Word document. I can't seem to remove those two from the template.

I have saved a new template as normal.old or normal.2, but I can't get Word
to default to open one of those instead of normal, which has the two boxes
checked. When I go to my template folder on C drive, "normal" is not there.
So how do I delete the normal folder and get my Word program to open under my
new template that does not have those two boxes checked?

Any ideas? Thanks

Laura