I have to say that this sounds like a lot more trouble than the "correct"
method described in the articles you were referred to. The concept is
simple: you have to insert a section break. You have to unlink the sections.
And then you have to insert page numbers (using the Insert Page Number
button on the Header and Footer toolbar, NOT Insert | Page Numbers) in only
those sections where you want them to appear. If you want the numbering to
start at 1 in Section 2, you also have to click Format Page Number and
choose Start at 1.

"James Inman" wrote in message
Ok this is how I deleted page numbers I didnt want. There could be

another
way but I couldnt find it.

Say you have a book and it has a title page, introduction,

acknowledgements
and so forth. YOU DONT WANT NUMBERS ON THOSE PAGES. You want the numbers

start on the FIRST PAGE OF THE FIRST CHAPTER!

This is what I did. Make sure you dont have any section breaks or manual
page breaks in the section you DONT want numbers. On the page where you

want
the numbers to start (this is in print layout) Click on Insert / Break /

Odd
Page. This will be page ONE. (It should say page 1 on the bottom then 2, 3
and so forth for the rest of the book) Now go back to the page numbers you
DONT want that seem to pop up every time you want to insert page numbers.

On
the pages you dont want numbers select View / Headers and Footers or just
double click on the number. You should see this annoying Header and Footer
rectangle dialog box pop up. Go to the Page Setup Button, the one that

looks
like a small book next to the clock. Click on that and look for a tab that
says Layout. Check the box that says Different First Page. Now go below

and
find Preview and Apply To: click on This Point Forward. Make sure the

curser
is in the box where you want to delete, kill, destroy, or vaporize that
number. If the number doesnt automatically delete then you can finally
delete it by hitting back space. Which is WHAT IT SHOULD DO TO MAKE IT

SIMPLE
BUT NO! You have to go through all this. Thats how I did it.

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

I second the suggestion you made in related post to look for another
program. All the tools you need to number a document are available in

Word.
However you are always free to build the better mousetrap or in your

words
to "Just create a program that lets you click on the page number and

delete
it."

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

James Inman wrote:
This whole page numbering and section break thing is retarded. It's
not user friendly at all. I JUST WANT TO DELETE A FEW PAGE NUMBERS AT
THE FRONT OF MY BOOK! Just create a program that lets you click on
the page number and delete it. AND LET THE PAGE NUMBERS START ON THE
PAGE THAT I WANT WITHOUT ALL THIS SECTION BREAK CRAP! Also the page
number format box NEEDS MORE OPTIONS! Here's an idea... "Start page
numbering from here down" AND DON'T MAKE IT PUT PAGE NUMBERS ON THE
WHOLE DOCUMENT. I've been to numerous forums and ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE
ARE FRUSTRATED WITH THIS!