Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default A question re corruption

Sorry Guys, now I'm really confused! Surely it has been said here that
saving to A: or even E: direct from Word is likely to cause corruption.
Therefore 'save as' is not right (which is what I used to do). But
copying from C: to E: under Windows Explorer is OK away from Word. Then
my question was: can we use a macro in Word to get temporarily out of it
to Windows Explorer and then do the copy and then return, like System
used to get you out of BASIC (shows age g) and let you do things in
DOS and then return.

Alternatively, can I make some form of macro that will operate from a
hot key when in Windows Explorer? BTW, I have got VB5. This would be
OK as I spend a lot of time in Explorer...

TF wrote:

You can also do it from the File, Open or File, SaVeAs dialog from Word.
Right-click on the file and use Sent To, Drive X.

Terry

wrote in message ...
:I take it that you all see no problem in copying and pasting within
: Windows Explorer then (rather than via a Macro in Word). Or, another
: thought, can one access Windows Explorer from Word, do it there, and
: come back again - all in a Macro?
:
:
: TF wrote:
:
: The reasons were mainly that floppies are (relatively) VERY slow to read
or
: write and not the most reliable media. When Word saves (especially in
older
: versions), it needs to build up the saved file and it does this by
creating
: a temporary file in the target folder gradually adding or overwriting
bits
: until it has a complete file. This is then rewritten and saved as the
: document file. But the temp file is locked and active until the document
is
: fully closed and Word/Windows releases the temp file.
:
: Problems become serious if the file is fairly large or the floppy is
: partially filled because the document file and the temp files may have
: insufficient room to co-exist on the floppy. To make matters worse,
: simultaneous reading and writing to the floppy is happening at the very
slow
: rate of the floppy drive.
:
: So all in all, it was hardly surprising that floppies were a disaster
with
: Word! The best and safest solution for you is to write your macro to
save
: the file to the main HDD and then COPY or MOVE it to the mem stick.
:
: Although Word is not so demanding these days, problems still do occur. I
: have a colleague who has now twice corrupted large documents using a
memory
: stick to move between home and work to continue working on a document.
:
: You now know the risks!
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: wrote in message
: : Quite a lot has been written about avoiding corruption of documents,
and
: : one piece of advice has been "do not save to A: from Word (though from
: : Explorer is okay). I habitually save to a memory stick/flash drive in
: : drive E and I would like to automate this with a VBA macro. Does
anyone
: : have any information on why saving to A: from Word causes corruption,
: : and more importantly whether or not saving to E: poses the same
danger?
: : Alternatively (and OT) is it possible to write a VBA (or other) Macro
: : invoke this procedure from a hot key while in Windows Explorer (where
: : currently do this manually)?
: :
: : TIA